Rooted  History

Pink flower

We need to take time to appreciate and reflect on where our roots were first originated. Before Community Roots became what we are now, this space was formerly known as Glass Gardens Greenhouse until they shut their doors in 2010. This family-owned business was first built in 1956 with a beautiful and spacious 40,000 square foot greenhouse. Glass Gardens took pride in being

Old Glass Garden Greenhouse

capable of growing millions of plants for us here in Knox County and our neighbors. Community Roots continues to carry this tradition as we move forward in our mission of creating a healthier community and taking pride in our rooted history.

Our  Mission

Red and purple flower
Front of Community Roots building

At Community Roots, we are a volunteer-based nonprofit that has a primary focus to work together as a community to provide horticultural and agricultural rehabilitation programs to provide knowledge, therapeutic outlets, inspiration, and unity for all of our friends and neighbors in Knox County. Our mission would not be possible without our dedicated network of volunteers. These volunteers are our neighbors, friends, and family. Without you, we couldn't continue our mission for nutritious food justice for all of our community members.

Community Partners

We would like to thank all of our extended family for partnering with us and helping Community Roots create a healthier home for our neighbors!

Community Roots Board

Quentin Platt

President

Kim Frye

Greenhouse Manager

Yellow person with a pink heart above them

Kenneth Lane

Board Committee

Emily Platt

Board Committee

Teal person making a heart with their arms

Scott Patterson

Secretary

Haley Behnfeldt

Board Committee